Return to Borneo - Day 11
TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE
One of the main reasons people visit Borneo is to see orangutans. Most people head to the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre in Sandakan. We went there last year, and although it's definitely an amazing experience it's all a bit too touristy for our liking. Fortunately for us there was no need to go back to Sepilok in order to spend more time with orangutans. Our awesome resort has it's own nature reserve where the rangers help with the rehabilitation of young orangutans. Once they are able to fend for themselves they are sent to Sepilok for the next stage in the rehabilitation program.
There are feedings twice a day which a limited number of guests are able to attend. We joined this morning's group and eagerly walked the track to the platform to find 4 orangutans waiting for us, including 3 very cute babies. I immediately recognised one of the babies as Annie, who we were fortunate enough to be able to spend time with last year. The time flew by really fast and before we knew it 45 minutes had passed and the orangutans had finished eating and playing and had disappeared back into the trees.
Food has been a real highlight of this trip. All the food we've had everywhere has been great, but nowhere more so than here. Our rate includes buffet breakfast and dinner and the food is fantastic. It's all delicious and there is so much of it. I'm a huge fan of the breakfast buffet and afterwards have no need to eat all day...until dessert that is. The dessert buffet is spectacular, and there's a huge variety to choose from. I don't have a sweet tooth at all, but every night there's a very sickening chocolate dessert which begs to be tried. I haven't been able to resist. Tonight there were 2 such chocolate desserts. I had both, even though my body was screaming at me to stop, and spent the rest of the evening feeling very, very dizzy. It was worth it though - yum! On my first night here I watched one girl my age return to the dessert buffet 4 times....I don't know how she did it!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home